SMILE is a laser vision correction surgery. SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. In the SMILE procedure, the surgeon uses a femtosecond laser to create a small, lens-shaped bit of tissue (lenticule) within the cornea.
Then, with the same laser, a small arc-shaped incision is made in the surface of the cornea, and the surgeon extracts the lenticule through this incision and discards it.
With the tiny lenticule removed, the shape of the cornea is altered, correcting nearsightedness. The corneal incision heals within a few days without stitches, and sharper vision occurs very quickly.
- We have one of the fastest and most accurate LASIK machines in the world. The procedure becomes more comfortable and results more accurate as the speed of the machine increases. We can treat from +6 to -14D and 6D of cylinder
- It is the only machine with PRESBYOND technology. This allows us to treat distance and near vision at the same time for those above 40 years of age. Studies show that 97% of people can see for near and for distance both after Presbyond and only 4% feel the need for occasional glasses.
- SMILE is the latest technology for glass correction. Studies show that SMILE offers many advantages over LASIK like being minimally invasive leading to greater corneal strength, giving sharper vision (less high order aberrations), totally painless, no flap creation (no effect of trauma in future), all laser and less dryness. World over, people are shifting from LASIK to SMILE. We have a 100% success rate in SMILE.
- Our surgical experience if of over 2000 procedures including training of numerous Indian and Foreign surgeons into refractive surgery.
What you get at Aakash Eyecare?
At Aakash Eyecare, we provide you with
- Complete range of solutions for refractive surgery. As we are equipped with FDA approved technologies of Visumax and Mel 90, we offer all 3
- generations of Laser vision correction : SMILE, femtosecond LASIK (blade free LASIK), blade LASIK (we have the Moria SBK, one of the best microkeratomes giving planar 90 microns flaps), topoguided LASIK (also known as Contoura LASIK), presbyopic LASIK (also known as Presbyond or Laser Blended Vision) and PRK. Read this for the truth about Contoura LASIK.
- Our faculty is a trainer for Laser Vision Correction. Having performed over 5000 procedures including numerous complex cases like optic zone enhancements, topography guided PRK with C3R for corneal ectasias, PTK for cornea opacities etc and a regular speaker at various national and international conferences and meetings, our faculty has in depth knowledge to provide safe and effective treatment.
- Quality promise: we are an NABH accredited center, and the only center we know to implement all international quality norms such as performing surgical safety checklist before every procedure, use of a new microkeratome per patient (using the same microkeratome in multiple patients reduces the price, but you run the risk of contracting deadly viruses.), weekly OT cultures of surfaces and monthly air cultures, regular reporting of safety events and auditing of results.
- Our femtosecond LASIK flap- maker is the Visumax. This gives us flaps centered on the visual axis- a definite advantage over most other femtosecond laser systems. Unlike other technologies, here there are no red spots on the eye because the vacuum applied is on the cornea (not sclera) and is so gentle, you can hardly feel it.
- Our results at Aakash Eyecare are at par with FDA published data.
- Aakash Eyecare is the only center in NCR with the SMILE suite- the combination of the Visumax and MEL 90 cutting edge technologies from Zeiss.
- We use FLEXIQUENCE technology for PRK which results in minimal scarring and early rehabilitation with excellent and reliable results compared with regular 500Hz laser as there is much less thermal effect.
- OPD timings 10 am to 7 pm 6 days a week. For appointments please call 011 2808 8888 or 8800015998 (LASIK helpline)
- World class infrastructure and hospitality.
- Empanelled with most TPA and insurance companies. Some insurance policies cover LASIK/ SMILE for higher powers.
- Transparent pricing. Most of our patients get perfect results in the first go itself. However, in the eventuality that a touch up laser is required, there is no extra charge for this.
Some people are not candidates for SMILE. They include people with:
- An unstable (changing) refractive error
- Skin or other disease that can affect healing
- Excessive scarring
- Cornea abrasions or disease
- Advanced glaucoma
- A cataract affecting vision
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- A history of eye disease or eye surgery
- History of certain eye infections
To determine whether you are a candidate for SMILE, your ophthalmologist will examine your eyes. Here’s what he or she will do:
- Check the overall health of your eyes
- Measure your cornea
- Check your pupil size
- Measure your nearsightedness
- Thorough checkup of the retina.
- Tear production tests
- Power check by various methods.
Benefits of the procedure FAQ
Benefits of SMILE
- Minimally invasive
- Better corneal strength compared to LASIK
- Does not require a flap – no risk in care of eye injury in future
- Performed on one laser
- Gentle treatment experience – no pain at all
- Fast wound healing following surgery
- Less Dry Eyes
SMILE is a laser vision correction surgery. SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. In the SMILE procedure, the surgeon uses a femtosecond laser to create a small, lens-shaped bit of tissue