Oral Cancer - Types, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Cancer is a condition of uncontrollable growth of cells that penetrate and generate damage to its surrounding tissue. Oral cancer emerges as a growth or sore in the mouth that does not vanish. If not diagnosed and treated early, this can be life-threatening.
Types of Oral Cancer:
Oral cancers include cancers of the:
- the inner lining of the cheek
- the floor of the mouth
- hard and soft palate
Risk Factors of Oral Cancer
Tobacco use in any form like smoking cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, as well as chewing tobacco is one of the biggest risk factors for oral cancer. People who consume large amounts of alcohol and tobacco are at even greater risk, especially when both products are used regularly.
Other risk factors include:
- human papillomavirus infection
- sharp tooth
- chronic facial sun exposure
- a previous diagnosis of oral cancer
- a weakened immune system
- poor nutrition
- genetic syndromes
- being male
Oral Cancer Symptoms:
Some common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Noticeable swelling, lump/bump, rough spots in or around the lips, gums, or other areas inside the mouth
- A velvety white, red, or mottled patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding
- A feeling of numbness, or pain/tenderness in any region of the face, mouth, or neck
- Existence of sores on the face, neck, or mouth that may bleed easily and do not hea
- Soreness or a feeling that something might be caught in the back of the throat
- Trouble in chewing or swallowing, speaking or moving the jaw or tongue
- A change in voice, hoarseness or chronic sore throat
- Ear pain
- loosening or falling of teeth or ill fitted denture
- Dramatic weight loss
Mouth Cancer Diagnosis :
Reach out to your dentist for conducting an oral cancer screening exam. The dentist may observe any lumps, irregular tissue or any other changes in the neck, head, face, and oral cavity. While examining the mouth area, the dentist will inspect for unspecified sores or discoloured tissue. A biopsy may be needed to ascertain the structure of a suspicious-looking area.
Oral Cancer treatment:
Treatment for oral cancer may vary based on the type, location, and stage of cancer through diagnosis.
- < Surgery: Treatment for early stages usually involves surgery to remove the tumor and cancerous lymph nodes. In addition to this, some other tissues around the mouth and neck may be taken out.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy is another option. This option comprises of a doctor striving radiation beams at the tumor once or twice a day, five days a week, for two to eight weeks. The treatment for any advanced stages will normally include a combination of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Chemotherapy Chemotherapy are the drugs that kill cancer cells. The medicine is given to you either orally or through an intravenous line. Most oral cancer patients get chemotherapy on an outpatient basis, although some demand hospitalization.
- Targeted therapy Targeted therapy is one form of treatment that can prove to be beneficial. This can prove to be efficient in both the early and advanced stages of oral cancer. Targeted therapy drugs will adhere to specific proteins on cancer cells and conflict with their growth.
- Immunotherapy : These are newer therapies that help your immune system fight cancer. These are used either in combination with chemotherapy or as a single agent where disease has already spread to other organs.
- Nutrition: Nutrition is one of the most crucial elements that play a vital role in oral cancer treatment. Many treatments make it difficult or painful to eat and swallow. Also, a poor appetite and weight loss are common. Hence, make it a point to discuss your diet with an oral cancer specialist.
- Keeping your mouth healthy: Last but not the least, keeping your mouth healthy during the periods of cancer treatments is crucial. Make a note to keep your mouth moist and your teeth and gums clean.
Oral Cancer Prevention:
One should keep the following thing in mind, to prevent oral cancer:
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco products
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun. >
Despite all the precautions and measures, if you still feel any symptoms or even want to opt for a regular checkup, Aakash Healthcare offers the best oral cancer treatment in Delhi. They are well-known to have the best doctors and services for mouth cancer. So, you can keep all your worries away as now you are in good hands.
Dr. Parveen Jain
Senior Consultant & HOD