Laser Vision Correction or LASIK/ SMILE
Is LASIK safe and effective for me?
As you are planning to have your LASIK done because you long for independence from your glasses and contact lenses. You have had to put up with the trouble of wearing and carrying them around, have had glasses break at inopportune times and also carried the risk of lenses causing serious eye infections, allergies, dryness and damage to your eyes.
However, there is so much conflicting and incomplete information on social media, sites and blogs all over the Internet that leaves you confused. Well, you’ve come to just the right place – in this write-up, you will have clear cut information and the pros and cons of all procedures available today as well as their pricing.
We believe that there is not a single procedure which is the best for everyone and offer all three generations of laser vision correction: SMILE, LASIK and PRK. In addition, we also have LASIK for those who need reading glasses. After reading this site, you should have a decent idea about what procedure you want for yourself.
What is LASIK?
LASIK eye surgery is a procedure that revises certain vision issues, eliminating the requirement for eyeglasses or corrective lenses. It's a surgical methodology that uses a laser to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and/or astigmatism. In LASIK, a thin flap in the cornea is created using either a microkeratome blade or a femtosecond laser. The specialist folds back the fold, and after that expel some corneal tissue underneath utilizing an excimer laser.
LASIK eye surgery is the most widely recognized kind of refractive surgery that changes the shape of the dome-shaped transparent tissue ( cornea) at the front of your eye.
Why is it done?
LASIK eye surgery may be an option for you if you have one of these vision problems:
Nearsightedness (myopia): When your eyeball is slightly longer than normal, light rays focus in front of the retina and blur distant vision. You can see objects that are close more clearly, but not those that are far away.
Farsightedness (hyperopia): When you have a shorter than average eyeball or a cornea that is too flat, light focuses behind the retina instead of on it. This makes near vision and sometimes distant vision blurry.
Astigmatism: When the cornea curves or flattens unevenly, the result is astigmatism, which disrupts focus of near and distant vision.
If you are keen to get LASIK done, drop in for a detailed evaluation. This process takes about 2 hours and includes a comprehensive list of eye tests to determine your suitability.
Ideally, we would like you to stop using soft contact lenses for 3 days before the evaluation, or for 14 days for semi soft contact lenses. Your tests include scans of your cornea, pupil, tear measurements and retina check after dilating your pupils. Please don’t drive yourself for the evaluations as it will be blurry for a few hours after the pupil dilation.
To determine whether you are a candidate for SMILE, your ophthalmologist will examine your eyes. Here’s what he or she will do:
- Check the overall health of your eyes
- Measure your cornea
- Check your pupil size
- Measure your nearsightedness
- Thorough checkup of the retina.
- Tear production tests
- Power check by various methods.
After the test results are ready, your eye doctor will discuss with you the results of the tests and which options are best for your particular eyes. based on your eye condition, occupation and hobbies. Keep all your questions and doubts ready at this point before your finally commit for LASIK.
To prepare for LASIK eye surgery: Stop wearing your contact lenses. If you wear contact lenses,you'll need to switch to glasses full time for at least a few weeks before your surgery. Contact lenses can distort the shape of your cornea, which could lead to inaccurate measurements and a poor surgical outcome.
What are the differences between the 3 Laser Vision Correction procedures?
The first laser surgery introduced. It was primarily introduced to correct near-sightedness, far-sightedness and astigmatism which was later followed by the popular LASIK surgery. PRK works by first removing the first layer of the cornea (epithelium) either mechanically or using the laser itself followed by reshaping the cornea using an excimer laser (ultraviolet light), allowing the light entering the eye to be properly focused onto the retina for clear vision. A bandage contact lens is then placed to encourage healing of the epithelium- this is removed in 5-7 days.
Advantages of PRK:
- Strength of cornea is maintained
- Preferred over LASIK for contact sports/ armed forces
Some of the shortcomings of PRK are:
- Slower recovery
- Takes time to generate new epithelial cells and cover the surface of the eye. LASIK and SMILE have no such pain.
- Slight chances of eye infection
- Haziness of vision in the first few days after surgery
- there is pain in the eyes for 2-3 days after the procedure for which painkillers are prescribed
Laser refractive surgery is not suitable for every person. We do a thorough evaluation for every patient to see if you are a suitable candidate and one of ten persons is asked not to go for the procedure. Such patients may have the option of a phakic IOL implantation.
Note that if you have been cleared for laser refractive surgery by us, it is safe for you.
The laser procedure permanently changes the shape of the cornea, the clear covering of the front of the eye, using an excimer laser (ultraviolet light). It is a two-step procedure which begins with a hinged flap creation using a mechanical microkeratome (a blade device). The flap is folded back revealing the stroma, the middle section of the cornea. Laser pulses from excimer vaporizes a predetermined portion of the stroma and the flap is replaced.
Femto-LASIK: (Bladeless LASIK)
In Femto LASIK, the flap is created with laser instead of blade as in conventional LASIK.
Advantages of Femto LASIK over LASIK:
- Smooth and even corneal flaps
- Thinner flaps, less tissue ablation
- Safer and more precise method
- More gentle method
- Faster vision rehabilitation
- No cut-related complications
- No black-outs during the treatment
- No blocking of the retina’s blood circulation
ReLEx SMILE is a breakthrough in laser vision correction offering a whole new level of precision, safety and comfort. In fact, you might just experience the world through a whole new lens - your natural ones.
ReLEx SMILE is a pain free, minimally invasive approach with the advantage of a 100% blade–free laser vision correction. This procedure involves no corneal flaps; refractive changes are made in the intact cornea itself. Unlike the conventional procedures, ReLex SMILE involves the creation of an extremely thin 3D layer in your intact cornea, corresponding to your refractive number that needs correction. This is then extracted out through a small keyhole incision of about 2-4mm only. As a result, the cornea gets reshaped to correspond to the ideal shape for correct vision. Entirely laser controlled, it is done in a few seconds- precise, safe and comfortable.
The ReLEx SMILE technique is performed using the highly precise advanced VisuMax femtosecond laser from Carl Zeiss AG, Germany. This laser system has impressed both the patients and the physicians alike with its sophisticated technology and its precision and reliability. ReLEx SMILE using VisuMax promises accuracy down to the nearest micrometer precision.
- The cornea surface is left untouched, preserving its biomechanical strength and stability better than other techniques.
- Inflammation is reduced to negligible as the total laser energy used is up to 10 times lesser than an excimer laser.
- Likeliness of dry eyes is significantly lowered, since no flap is created.
- There is no use of surgical cutting instruments and involves no change of equipment during the treatment.
- Since this procedure is minimally invasive, it involves minimum intervention and therefore less after care is required, enabling you to enjoy your new visual sensation right from day one.
PRESBYOND: A ﬁne choice to lose glasses for people above 40 years
When you reach your mid-forties, you will notice certain changes with your eyesight. Reading ﬁne print becomes harder. You begin to hold things at a distance to be able to read them clearly. If routine activities like using your mobile phone, browsing the net and reading the menu card become challenging, you may have presbyopia. This visual condition affects almost everyone over the age of forty-ﬁve.
PRESBYOND Laser Blended Vision is a new physiologically optimized laser treatment option for presbyopia. It combines the simplicity and accuracy of corneal refractive procedure with increased depth of ﬁeld in order to retain visual quality. With PRESBYOND Laser Blended Vision, patients experience excellent vision at all distances; near, intermediate and far and improved visual acuity and contrast sensitivity. Patients adapt faster with this procedure, and enjoy their youthful vision immensely. PRESBYOND Laser Blended Vision is a breakthrough laser procedure offering multiple advantages over conventional vision correction methods, particularly with:
- Customized treatment
- Excellent vision at all distances
- Preservation of contrast sensitivity, night vision and stereo acuity
What Happens During LASIK?
LASIK is an outpatient strategy, which means you will go to the surgery focus, have the technique, and go home that day.
When you enter the surgery room, you will lie down, and numbing drops will be applied to your eyes to keep them comfortable throughout the LASIK procedure. A small device will be used to keep your eye wide open during all steps of the surgery.
What is ReLEx SMILE?
SMILE is a laser vision correction surgery. SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. In the SMILE procedure, the surgeon uses a femtosecond laser to create a small, lens-shaped bit of tissue (lenticule) within the cornea.
Then, with the same laser, a small arc-shaped incision is made in the surface of the cornea, and the surgeon extracts the lenticule through this incision and discards it.
With the tiny lenticule removed, the shape of the cornea is altered, correcting nearsightedness. The corneal incision heals within a few days without stitches, and sharper vision occurs very quickly.
- We have one of the fastest and most accurate LASIK machines in the world. The procedure becomes more comfortable and results more accurate as the speed of the machine increases. We can treat from +6 to -14D and 6D of cylinder
- It is the only machine with PRESBYOND technology. This allows us to treat distance and near vision at the same time for those above 40 years of age. Studies show that 97% of people can see for near and for distance both after Presbyond and only 4% feel the need for occasional glasses.
- SMILE is the latest technology for glass correction. Studies show that SMILE offers many advantages over LASIK like being minimally invasive leading to greater corneal strength, giving sharper vision (less high order aberrations), totally painless, no flap creation (no effect of trauma in future), all laser and less dryness. World over, people are shifting from LASIK to SMILE. We have a 100% success rate in SMILE.
- Our surgical experience if of over 2000 procedures including training of numerous Indian and Foreign surgeons into refractive surgery.
Benefits of SMILE
- Minimally invasive
- Better corneal strength compared to LASIK
- Does not require a flap – no risk in care of eye injury in future
- Performed on one laser
- Gentle treatment experience – no pain at all
- Fast wound healing following surgery
- Less Dry Eyes
Some people are not candidates for SMILE. They include people with:
- An unstable (changing) refractive error
- Skin or other disease that can affect healing
- Excessive scarring
- Cornea abrasions or disease
- Advanced glaucoma
- A cataract affecting vision
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- A history of eye disease or eye surgery
- History of certain eye infections
What you get at Aakash Eyecare?
At Aakash Eyecare, we provide you with
- Complete range of solutions for refractive surgery. As we are equipped with FDA approved technologies of Visumax and Mel 90, we offer all 3
- generations of Laser vision correction : SMILE, femtosecond LASIK (blade free LASIK), blade LASIK (we have the Moria SBK, one of the best microkeratomes giving planar 90 microns flaps), topoguided LASIK (also known as Contoura LASIK), presbyopic LASIK (also known as Presbyond or Laser Blended Vision) and PRK. Read this for the truth about Contoura LASIK.
- Our faculty is a trainer for Laser Vision Correction. Having performed over 5000 procedures including numerous complex cases like optic zone enhancements, topography guided PRK with C3R for corneal ectasias, PTK for cornea opacities etc and a regular speaker at various national and international conferences and meetings, our faculty has in depth knowledge to provide safe and effective treatment.
- Quality promise: we are an NABH accredited center, and the only center we know to implement all international quality norms such as performing surgical safety checklist before every procedure, use of a new microkeratome per patient (using the same microkeratome in multiple patients reduces the price, but you run the risk of contracting deadly viruses.), weekly OT cultures of surfaces and monthly air cultures, regular reporting of safety events and auditing of results.
- Our femtosecond LASIK flap- maker is the Visumax. This gives us flaps centered on the visual axis- a definite advantage over most other femtosecond laser systems. Unlike other technologies, here there are no red spots on the eye because the vacuum applied is on the cornea (not sclera) and is so gentle, you can hardly feel it.
- Our results at Aakash Eyecare are at par with FDA published data.
- Aakash Eyecare is the only center in NCR with the SMILE suite- the combination of the Visumax and MEL 90 cutting edge technologies from Zeiss.
- We use FLEXIQUENCE technology for PRK which results in minimal scarring and early rehabilitation with excellent and reliable results compared with regular 500Hz laser as there is much less thermal effect.
- OPD timings 10 am to 7 pm 6 days a week. For appointments please call 011 2808 8888 or 8800015998 (LASIK helpline)
- World class infrastructure and hospitality.
- Empanelled with most TPA and insurance companies. Some insurance policies cover LASIK/ SMILE for higher powers.
- Transparent pricing. Most of our patients get perfect results in the first go itself. However, in the eventuality that a touch up laser is required, there is no extra charge for this.
SMILE is a laser vision correction surgery. SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. In the SMILE procedure, the surgeon uses a femtosecond laser to create a small, lens-shaped bit of tissue