SMILE Surgery – the modern vision correction surgery
What is SMILE Surgery?
Small Incision Lenticule Extraction (SMILE) is the latest advancement in correcting nearsightedness or myopia with an outstanding result. It is also known as Refractive Lenticule Extraction or ReLEx.
How does it work?
ReLex SMILE eye surgery is a fully automated painless next generation quick procedure with long lasting results. Firstly, the ophthalmologist administers anaesthesia eye drops to numb the eye. Then the LASER is used to place a number of pulses on the cornea's centre. The pulses create tiny bubbles outlining the tissues that need to be removed. The LASER creates a small connecting tunnel which gives the eye surgeon the opportunity to draw out the tissue, helping to change the shape of the cornea. The shape of the cornea is responsible for the perfect eyesight. The entire procedure takes less than fifteen minutes for both the eyes.
SMILE surgery vs LASIK surgery
During the LASIK procedure, a corneal flap is created, and in the SMILE procedure, a small corneal lenticule (lens shaped disc) is created. Since no flap is created in SMILE, there is no scope of flap related complications.
Benefits of SMILE surgery
- unlike other eye surgeries, SMILE is a very quick single stage procedure. The total treatment time is generally 20-30 minutes for both the eyes
- since this surgery is entirely a bladeless, bloodless, painless surgery, the recovery time is very less
- Vision of the patient generally improves by 80% within a few hours of surgery and starts showing best results within a few days
- Unlike LASIK surgery, the dry eye complication happens much less in SMILE
- there is no age limit for undergoing SMILE surgery, but if one has thinner than average cornea, intolerance to contact lens or moderate dry eye syndrome, then that person is most eligible for SMILE surgery.
SMILE eye surgery cost
The regular eye testing, cost for spectacles, lens can be ditched by one time SMILE surgery to get a lifetime freedom from nearsightedness. This is an affordable option for vision correction.
SMILE is a one stop solution for nearsightedness and can bring lifetime freedom from carrying the spectacles, lens box, lens solutions etc. Aakash Healthcare and Super speciality Hospital in Dwarka, Delhi NCR is the best place to trust and undergo SMILE surgery and considered as one of the best eye care hospitals in Delhi . They have one of the best eye doctors ( ophthalmologists)/eye specialists/eye surgeons , optometrists, state of the art technologies and all the best possible ways to treat eye problems with the best results always.
Dr. Prashaant Chaudhry
Senior Consultant & HOD
Ophthalmology and Refractive surgery