Is Headache a common Health Problem?
The most common health problem experienced by many people is Headache. We need to recognize the causes that can lead to headache and take actions accordingly. Severe headaches frequently might affect a person’s physical and mental health as well. Headaches can affect and cause pain on any part of the head. Let us look at some the factors that can lead to headaches.
- Emotional factors like anxiety, depression and stress.
- Physical issues like any past or present injury.
- Environmental factor like the weather conditions.
- Medical issues like migraine or high blood pressure.
The level of pain due to headache differs from one person to another. The experts have categorized headaches in two different types: primary or secondary.
Primary Headaches are the ones where the brain is structurally and clinically normal. MRI Brain is typically not done in Primary Headache. This can also happen due to excess use of medication. Primary headache can be due to following uncontrollable activities of:
- Blood vessels
- Brain Chemicals
- Specific parts of the brains
There can be many causes for the secondary headaches which are mostly affected by health issues. The issues are:
- Brain tumor
As the headaches can have serious effects on your health, it is important to seek for medical help as soon as possible. Recognize if your headache is really severe, occurring on frequent basis, persistent, no improvement in spite of medication and other symptoms like fever, neck stiffness and sensory problems. You shouldn’t take any symptoms lightly, always call medical helpline in case of any problem or visit your nearest doctor.
The doctors and health experts recommend pain relievers for the minor headaches. Some medication will require prescription by the doctors and some will be available without it. If your headache is regular, it is always advisable to visit a doctor. Because over use of any medication is also not good for your health. It might worsen your headache.
Even though pain relievers are sage, it is recommended to follow some instructions before going for them. There are some tips you can follow while you are on headache pain relievers:
- It is very important to know the active ingredients of the pain relievers.
- Never exceed the dosage limit that is given on the cover.
- Follow the instructions given. How to have, how much and when to have them.
- >Check if you have any kidney or liver problems with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor if you have any bleeding problem, asthma, undergone or going for any surgery.
- Do not take more than 4 Pain Killers in a month
- If you need more than 4 pain killers in a month. Seek a Neurologist’s opinion immediately.
Senior Consultant & HOD